Cambodia Limits 3G Phones Fearing Porn

PHNOM PEHN, Cambodia — Fearing the spread of pornography, government officials compromised with the nation’s leading mobile phone carrier, allowing the company to launch its third-generation (3G) phone network without a video phone feature.

So Khun, Cambodia’s Minister of Telecommunications, said he would allow MobiTel to launch its 3G network minus the video phone feature.

The company had previously drawn fire from Prime Minister Hu Sen’s wife, Bun Rany, who wrote Khun to say 3G phones would do nothing more than spread adult content across the country like wild fire.

In May, Sen banned the company from launching the 3G network.

The company agreed to launch without the video feature, allowing the deal to go through, MobiTel general manager David Spriggs said.

"If and when the government changes its position, we will be able offer video phone," he said.

According to Spriggs, the ban isn’t likely to effect the dissemination of adult content, since 3G phones offered by the company have unlimited Internet access, meaning users can view pornographic websites on their mobile devices.

"At the moment what they've banned is video phone, and as far as we're aware, they haven't banned the Internet," Spriggs said.

Khun said the Telecommunications Ministry technicians were working on effectively blocking pornographic websites in the country, but conceded that a complete solution may never come to fruition.

MobiTel has more than 1 million users in Cambodia.

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

AEBN Publishes Report on Fetish Trends

AEBN has published a report on fetish categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Industry Photographer, 'Payout' Founder Mike B Passes Away

Longtime industry photographer and publisher Michael Bartholomey, known widely as Mike B, passed away Saturday.

FSC Announces 2025 Board of Directors Election Nominees

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has announced the nominees for its 2025 Board of Directors election.

AdultHTML Launches Black Friday Web Design, Development Promo

AdultHTML has launched its annual Black Friday/Cyber Monday promo for web design and development, running through Dec. 5.

Canada Exempts Online Adult Content From 'CanCon' Quotas

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has updated its broadcasting regulatory policies, exempting streaming adult content from “made in Canada” requirements that apply to other online material.

Creator Law Firm 'OnlyFirm' Launches

Entertainment attorney Alex Lonstein has officially launched OnlyFirm.com for creators.

German Court Puts Pornhub, YouPorn 'Network Ban' on Hold

The Administrative Court of Düsseldorf has temporarily blocked the State Media Authority of North Rhine-Westphalia (LfM) from forcing telecom providers to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

FSC: NC Law Invalidating Model Contracts Takes Effect December 1

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has issued a notice that North Carolina's Prevent Exploitation of Women and Minors Act goes into effect on December 1.

Show More